Sunday, May 25, 2008

Weekend Wrap-Up


Click image above to enlarge.


Funny how I can feel disorganized and scattered even when there's absolutely nothing around me. It must be the OCD. Hopefully, I will feel better once I really do have something to organize and arrange. I've learned a couple of things this past week. You really can live without all the material trappings and possessions and things that we all cling to. The other thing I learned is that I don't want to. I can't wait for our stuff to get here. As an experiment, try getting through the day without a chair. You don't realize how much you depend on the lowly little piece of furniture called the chair until you don't have one. My favorite part of furniture shopping has been just sitting in all the chairs in all the stores.

We've been here a week now, though it seems longer. I don't mean that in a bad way. It's just that the local people and the friends we've made have been so nice to us and we have been so busy, that it seems like we've been here for ages.

Quick tragic childhood story: When I was a kid I had terrible allergies. Then when I was 9, I started allergy shots and they helped immensely. On one camping trip, the family and I found ourselves in a campground surrounded by cottonwood trees. The little white tufts drifted in the air like magic, and it was beautiful. But within a few seconds, I was having the worst attack of my life. The parents grabbed me, packed up our stuff and we got the heck out of there. From then on, we stayed away from cottonwood trees. You see where this is going?

Yesterday afternoon, I walked out on the balcony overlooking the backyard and the air was full of tiny little whispy, cottony plumes, like someone had blown the fluff off a giant dandelion into our yard. My allergy attacks have been mild here, but pretty steady. There's definitely something in the air. Somehow, the smog and absence of nature in Los Angeles had dulled my allergy problems over the years. Here, it's like a brand new world of sneezing! I'm going to try some homeopathic remedies, then head off to an allergist, if necessary. Even Michael has been sniffling and sneezing. Damn nature. It's enough to make you want to bulldoze some of these trees and put up a couple of Starbucks.

No comments: